[iyonix-support] Interrupt failure in EtherK module (revisited)

  • From: Rik Griffin <rik.griffin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 10:08:30 GMT

About a year (almost exactly) I discovered a problem with the EtherK module
0.18 that caused the IRQ in use by the network device to fail after a
period of intensive use. I think Gary Locock found the same problem
as a result of heavy use of ShareFS.

Castle tracked down the problem to the EtherK module, and version 0.19 was
released which seemed to cure the problem

However the same problem has resurfaced for me, a year later, the
difference being that I'm now making even heavier use of the network
interface (3-4 MBits per second, constantly 24 hours a day). After about 20
hours of this, something goes wrong and the ethernet device's IRQ (59) is
disabled. Anything else using that IRQ of course stops working too (eg one
of the USB channels)

Reenabling the IRQ restores function to the affected devices.

So, has anyone else seen this problem recently?

And a question to John - I'm still using RO5.11 with EtherK 0.19. Are there
any fixes that might help in 5.12? Am I right in saying all new machines
come with 5.12? If so I should upgrade my dev machine anyway.

--
Rik Griffin
Software Engineer, Denbridge Marine Ltd