[iyonix-support] Re: Intermittent CRT line collapse

  • From: John Chetwynd <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:40:16 +0100

In message <f9140e884f.rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>        ----------------
> Equipment:
> Early Iyoniix RO 5.13 with supplied graphics card, Iiyama 22" CRT
> monitor, both 6 years old. 2048 x 1536 x 16M colour mode. It has
> worked perfectly for 6 years, until a month ago..
>         ---------------

[SNIP]
> After a lot of white flashes on the screen, which usually occur
> horizontally, the raster sometimes collapses to a single (very bright)
> vertical line mid-way across the screen (ie: in the centre).

> At first thought I suspected a dicky contact on the horizontal
> deflection circuitry, but I think I can rule that out because
> sometimes the raster does not collapse, but there is still a bright
> (but not as bright) vertical line down the centre of the screen. If
> the horizontal deflection voltage had collapsed, I would not get a
> normal raster at the same time as the bright centrally placed vertical
> line.
[SNIP]

This is most likely a dry joint in the line scan section.

My 22" VM Pro 510 had exactly the same problem.
Thumping the side of the monitor cured the problem temporarily :-)
However, being the lazy so and so that I am I never got around to
doing a proper repair early enough.
Unfortunately I was not in the room the last time it happend and on my
return I was met with a horrible burnt carbon smell.

Disemboweling the beast revealed a rather large hole burnt in the PCB
where the line scan coil plug was. This meant the monitor had to be
written off

Been kicking myself ever since :-)
Now working at 1920 x 1440 on a VM Pro 450 (19")
It's not the same! :-(

Best get yours to a TV Engineer who should be able to reflow some
solder around the offending joints - like wot I should have done

Best regards

--
John Chetwynd