[iyonix-support] Intermittent CRT line collapse

  • From: Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 08:20:06 +0100

       ----------------
Equipment:
Early Iyoniix RO 5.13 with supplied graphics card, Iiyama 22" CRT
monitor, both 6 years old. 2048 x 1536 x 16M colour mode. It has
worked perfectly for 6 years, until a month ago..
        ---------------

I'm having an intermittent problem possibly with my CRT computer
monitor, and if I describe the symptoms I hope someone might be able
to throw a bit of light on what might be going wrong.

After a lot of white flashes on the screen, which usually occur
horizontally, the raster sometimes collapses to a single (very bright)
vertical line mid-way across the screen (ie: in the centre).

At first thought I suspected a dicky contact on the horizontal
deflection circuitry, but I think I can rule that out because
sometimes the raster does not collapse, but there is still a bright
(but not as bright) vertical line down the centre of the screen. If
the horizontal deflection voltage had collapsed, I would not get a
normal raster at the same time as the bright centrally placed vertical
line.

This comes and goes willy nilly. Most of the time the raster is
normal. About 1% of the time it has a seizure with one or other of the
above described symptoms. After a few seconds it usually recovers all
by itself without any intervention. There is no discernible pattern in
its seizures.

I have un-plugged and re-inserted both ends of the video cable to
clean the contacts.

Anyone any idea what may be going on?

[I'm not at all keen on opening up the monitor. I was a low voltage
electronic engineer, and shy away from lethal voltages].

Bashing the monitor gently does not invoke any nasties, so it is hard
to think it may be a dicky contact in the monitor. I haven't bashed
the computer because it has a hard drive in it.

Could it be the graphics card?

--

Cheers
Roger

Atomic Software   http://rogerdarlington.members.beeb.net/
Summer Winers     http://rogerarm.freeuk.com/rogerarm/
Wild Flowers      http://rdarlington.members.beeb.net/
Flower Heads      http://fheads.members.beeb.net/
Too lazy to turn over your CD?: Get a CD-re-winder.

This mail is from Archive-online, for subscribers to Archive &
RiscWorld.
The views expressed in this email are those of the originator of the
message
and not those of Archive-online unless clearly identified as such.
Forwarding
of a message may not be taken as an endorsement of its contents.
Contributors
are wholly responsible for ensuring the factual accuracy of their
statements.
Archive-online cannot be held responsible for any loss or injury,
financial
or otherwise, howsoever sustained by any individual or party as a
result of
any message carried on this mailing list.