[iyonix-support] Re: Clipboard

  • From: Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 22:44:22 +0100

On 19 Apr, Richard Mellish wrote in message
  <200704190413_MC3-1-E0FB-D144@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I ought to have asked this several years ago, but ....
>
> The help file for the Clipboard utility and the IcnClipBrd module says
> that these "have been converted to 32-bit for use on RISC OS 5". This
> implies that the global clipboard itself is available for RISC OS5,

The global clipboard has been provided since RISC OS 3.1.

> but I recall seeing somewhere that this was one of the facilities
> provided in the various versions of Select and Adjust but not on RISC
> OS 5.

The provision for the global clipboard in writable icons (ie. making
IcnClipBrd redundant) and support for a clip holder (allowing the contents
of the clipboard to persist after the owning application has quit) are
RISC OS Select/Adjust additions.  Both more or less duplicate existing
functionality as part of the OS (from IcnClipBrd and -- IIRC -- ClipMan
respectively).

> Is a global clipboard available, and if so where is it to be found?

In the OS. :-)

> Or is this something that has to be specifically supported by each
> application, and if so is there a list anywhere of which applications do
> support it?

It's just a protocol (an extension of the better-known drag-and-drop
system, in fact) which applications can use.  When you cut an object in a
compliant application, it holds on to it and offers it around the system
to any other apps that need to paste objects into their own documents.

What supports it?  IcnClipBrd, Ovation Pro, Easi/TechWriter, Zap,
StrongEd, NetSurf, Oregano2, Messenger Pro, and probably much more (that's
just a list of things off the top of my head).

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/