[iyonix-support] Caveat - a salutory tale

  • From: John Ballance <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 16:20:10 +0000

Hi All

A slight caveat ref re-flashing a rom:

I have had one (Just 1) machine back that failed its re-flash. The reason was straight forward - the power supply was on its very last legs. The machine had, since Christmas or so suddenly started to be less predictable than usual. The customer re-flashed to 5.16, the rom had erased, then refused to re-program as the power supply was too low (a built-in protection within the flash rom). (FYI the power supply read 4.97v on the 5v rail (red to black) at power up, and drooped further with time. A good PSU NEVER reads this low, and stays constant with time and indeed load).

The moral of this story: .. If you are getting unexpected / uncharacteristic behaviour from your Iyonix, do not re-flash until you have confirmed you have a good power-supply.

On the other hand, you WILL have to re-flash with RISC OS 5.16 to overcome the 2101/2012 etc date issue.

I still have the capability to re-program motherboards that have failed to re-flash. If you need this service please contact me.

John
--
John Ballance C.Eng MIET (Support) - jwb@xxxxxxxxxx - 07976 295923

John says: Shrink household bills by up to 30%? -> Have you looked here?

Too Much Month at the End of the Money? Look at this!

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4844 (20100207) __________

http://www.eset.com