[iyonix-support] Booting up is failing intermittently

  • From: list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 07:54:31 +1300

Help, booting up is failing.
At this stage it's intermittent.

Here's how it first presented, after switch on: Green light on and
immed afterw orange light on. Both HDDs click and whirr for 2-3 sec.
Then nothing but a faint whirr from the power supply. After less than
a minute the orange goes out. Switch-off at the rear switch causes
both HDDs to click off.

I have:
New 120gb WD drive set as master with slave
The orig 120gb maxtor drive set as slave (no link)
Both plugged into the motherboard socket nearest the edge with a new
strap cable. Floppy is connected and plugged into power supply, but no
light on at the front. No bootup sounds from that.

CD drive is not connected. It was reporting CD drive not found at the
same time that this intermit boot-failure started.

Tried replacing the old cable.
Tried using the other ide socket.
Tried other power supply connectors.
Tried disconneting floppy.

Then ... I gently unplugged the memory card and re-inserted it, and
that allowed a boot-up!

After another switch-off the machine reports an error, the details of
which escape me except for: 'error # &80000001'.

Switch on again and it boots-up ok.

Like I said, booting up is intermittent.
What should I do?

Brian

--
Auckland NEW ZEALAND