RE: port scan detected

  • From: "Kenny Mann" <Kennymann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 08:32:31 -0500

<two cents>

Here is what I do sometimes, when I'm in a frisky mood.
Goto command prompt.
Type in "net send <ip address> Please stop scanning me..."
If it sends, they got a 2K or XP box (and have messenger service on) and
they just received a popup box saying that...
This will freak out allot of script kiddies.
If it doesn't work they are most likely running linux or have their
messenger serverice up and they may not some thigns about a computer.
Port scan them a couple times... But I generally only do these if they
are scanning me on a frequent (> 2 times a day for multiple days) basis.
I've also ran across a domain (I forgot the name) which basically scans
the entire web just to do a statistic for commonly known exploits. They
don't publish names, just percentages.

My goal is to make them realize I'm an active admin... (or at least as
active as my boss and the laws will let me ;-))
In a best case scenario I just scared a script kiddie and they will
stop...

On the other hand, some companies have policies against things like
this... (yeah, I like the three dots...)

</two cents>

Kenny