[isalist] Re: Virtualising ISA

  • From: "Paul Laudenslager" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 21:12:33 -0400

Most of my older servers are 32 bit and I've been slowly migrating over to
Virtual Server on 64-bit machines.

However, it seems that all of the 64 bit machines I've purchased have been
one generation too old to run Hyper-V.  Right now, I'm stuck with VS.  I
makes me what to go buy one of those 'bad boy' servers - quad processor with
quad cores -  but I was quoted $32k which is a bit over my current Ebay'ing
budget. J

Two things come to mind.

1.       Is Hyper-V worth the additional costs and how does its
performance/security relate to Virtual Server?

2.       Is it me or does there seem something inherently wrong with
virtualizing an ISA Server?

I do like the idea of disabling the NIC on the parent and still being able
to communicate on that NIC with HV.  I can't wait to test that.

Thanks!

-Paul