Re: SBS2k3+Exch2k3+ISA2000 - outbound SMTP mails

  • From: vids s <vixmus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 00:50:29 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for ur reply Amy .

Actually i am running this setup scenario on my test environment so i cannot
change the ISA version or any other parameters.. . I have Mcafee Security
Shield Product installed which scans any SMTP Outbound/Inbound traffic through
ISA....so i know for sure that SMTP Outbound mails are not coming into ISA .

Details -

m/c1 = SBS2003+Premium CD containing ISA2000 and 2 NICs
Internal NIC - 10.0.0.10 Mask 255.255.255.0 gateway/DNS 10.0.0.10
External NIC - 172.16.195.153 Mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 172.16.195.1(.1 is
gateway for internet access)

m/c2 = win2003 server , 1 NIC - 10.0.0.20 and having gateway 10.0.0.10

m/c3 = windows 2000 server , 1 NIC - 172.16.195.115
This machine is the external world in our test lab (separate domain called
leora.org) and has a SMTP connector configured to send mails to the ISA m/c1
and m/c1 also has a SMTP connector configured manually to send mails to leora
using the SBS server name(we are not choosing any IP here...so its free to
choose the NIC for outbound mails)

Exch2k3 which is again on the ISA 2000 machine is assigned internal IP address
and so while sending mails INTO the domain the mails first comes through the
external NIC into ISA and then ISA hands it over to Exch on the Internal IP and
mails sent to m/c2 where users are configured - Correct behaviour.

Mails sent outbound behave differently - Exch sends mails and the mails just go
from Exch[configured thru sytem manager to use Internal IP 10.0.0.10] and into
the Outside domain ( through connector to leora ) without coming to ISA at all.

Appropriate rules have been configured and attempts made using the articles
mentioned in ur link as well as other sources .. mail server wizard rules,
server publishing , IP Packet Fitlers, Protocol Rules...almost all steps
followed but none seem to work....have tried each article independently as well
as together on same setup.

If you've read through all the above details and are confused let me pose my
single line Q again - Do any of u have a SINGLE link which can help me
configure ISA to take the outbound mail from Exchange and then from ISA go to
outside world ???

Please help me out.

TIA
-VIdhya

   I have sbs2003 premium over which i have both Exch2003 + ISA 2000
    [external NIC] ISA2000 FP1+sp2 and
    Exch2003 [Internal NIC] .
      i know there is some article or doc that talks bout how to make
OUTBOUND mails go from Exch[internal nic] to ISA2000[ext NIC] but dunno
where to find it.   as of now wats happening is that since port25 is used by
both...somehow mails go from Exch directly to outer domains without passing
through ISA.

    PLS TELL ME HOW TO MAKE OUTBOUND MAILS GO THROUGH FIRST EXCH and
then ISA and then to outer world.

Yahoo! Shopping