RE: Routing?

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:26:18 -0700

I second David's recommendations.

John Tolmachoff MCSE CSSA

Engineer/Consultant

eServices For You

www.eservicesforyou.com

-----Original Message-----
From: David V. Dellanno [mailto:ddellanno@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2003 3:25 PM
To: [ISAserver.org Discussion List]
Subject: [isalist] RE: Routing?

http://www.ISAserver.org

Hi Moshood,

    I strongly recommend to configure both Domain Controller with a single
nic and assign a private IP address for them.

On the Stand-alone Server, I guessing that you have ISA installed on it?  In
your message, it only mention Network Routing, so in the diagram I am
representing that as RRAS.  I recommend, if possible, ISA as your Firewall
solution, I leave the business decision up to you. :-)

Recommend Solution:

(hope this driagram comes out.... :^\ )

Inet --- (Pub. nic) Stand-Alone Srv/RRAS (Priv. nic) ------Switch or
Hub-----(Priv. nic) DC1

|--------(Priv. nic) DC2 (Exchange)

Note: RRAS/NAT is not considered a Firewall solution and you should concider
protecting your private resource with a Firewall Product.

    Definitely you should NOT have your Domain Controller and Exchange 2000
server configured with a Public IP.   I highly recommend to remove the
Public IP on your DC/Exchange Server as soon as you can to better protect
from attacks or viruses from the internet.