RE: Publishing a virtual SMTP server

  • From: "PETER PAPE" <papexpjboi@xxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 23:02:51 +0000

Hi Marvin,

Do you want the SMTP server to receive mail or just send mail?

If you need to send mail you'll need a protocol rule allowing your SMTP server to pass SMTP (port 25 outbound) traffic through. ISA has this protocol definition already defined so you don't need the one you've created.

Does the SMTP service need to perform DNS lookups? If so, it will need to be able to perform DNS lookups through ISA. If it is a SNAT client, you'll need to provide rules for the SMTP service. If the server is a firewall client, I believe the firewall service will do the DNS lookups.

If you need the SMTP server to receive mail, then you'll need to publish it using a server publishing rule. But, it sound like you already have a mail server published for your domain?

As an alternative, if your mail server is already able to send a receive mail etc. You may just want to have the SMTP service on your webserver relay to your mail server? That option depends on the configuration of your network. Its been a while since I worked with this stuff so I might be a little rusty.

Hope that helps...
Peter

From: "Marvin Cummings" <marvc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [isalist] Publishing a virtual SMTP server
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 18:28:15 -0400

http://www.ISAserver.org

I need a confirmation:

I have a postnuke site on my web server that I need to be able to send
mail from. The web server's already published in ISA and the site's
accessible externally. I've installed the SMTP component on the web
server and I configured it to use its internal IP. I've also created a
Protocol definition with the following settings:

Filter Type

Custom Filter

IP Protocol: TCP

Direction: Both

Local Port: All ports

Remote Port: Fixed

Remote Port Number: 25

Local Computer: external IP of ISA server

Remote Computer: Internal IP of web server

I have SMTP configured to relay for my internal exchange server and need
to know how do I configure or publish this SMTP server in ISA? I have my
external zone files pointing to mail.mydomain.com which is the same
static IP that points to one of my other sites.

Sorry for the confusion but any responses are appreciated.

Thanks