RE: Help with the web proxy setup in ISA 2004

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 08:18:59 -0700

Netmon (or Ethereal) is the first, best place to go for this
information.

Do it this way (use [DHCP] or [Static] according to your IP assignment):

1.      open a cmd (say 'dos' to spin Tom) window
2.      clear the client name & DHCP caches

        a.      [DHCP] type: 'ipconfig/release' (clears DHCP/name caches
in one swell foop)
        b.      [Static] type 'ipfoncig/flushdns & nbtstat -R'

3.      disable the FWC if installed
4.      start <insert network capture tool here> capturing
5.      [DHCP only]

        a.      in the cmd window, type: ipconfig/renew',
        b.      when the lease process completes, save this capture as
"Lease.cap"
        c.      start a new capture

6.      Enable the FWC
7.      Open the FWC control, click "Detect"
8.      When the FWC "detection" process completes, stop the capture and
save it as "FWC.cap"
9.      Restart the network capture
10.     Open your browser, type http://isaserver.org
<http://isaserver.org/> , wait for the page to load or fail
11.     Save this capture as "isaserver.org.cap"

..now you have something to examine (separately from each other, no
less).

"The key things to look for - especially if you're using DHCP-based wpad
is typos in the wpad data.

   MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG

   http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/
<http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/>