RE: Help with the web proxy setup in ISA 2004

  • From: "Roy Tsao" <roy_tsao@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 23:06:57 -0600

My ISA2K4 Box is SP1 patched, FW Client is also SP1ed.
Since client shall be Webproxy client with authentication for HTTP(s)/FTP
download connection as required by content filter (surfcontol), so
autoproxy configuration shall be applied in addional to FW client.
It is true that when autoconfiguration point to full FQDN, authentication
window popup means autoproxy configuration is not download into client
end but when change to simple host name, no popup anymore!

My understanding is the configuration script is obtained through http,
there must be a doubled authentication when address is FQDN before
configuration is done:
   phase 1: web proxy client issue http request to ISA FQDN:8080
            authentication required and webproxy client can provide
            credentials
   phase 2: ISA box loopback to itself requesting for ISAFQDN:8080
            as agent for client, then authentication required, and
            ISA box pass it back to client (that's the reason of
            authentication popup).
If it is correct for working merchanism, FQDN shall not be used
because client setting has not been done and does not know how
to bypass ISA proxy to obtain script.

Thanks,

Roy Tsao