[irati] Re: How to contribute to project

  • From: Jairo Eduardo López <nacarino@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: irati@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 19:25:39 +0900

Hi Dimitri,

Thank you for your quick reply.

As long as the conversation can flow, more questions are not a hindrance. I
will try to answer them to the best of my abilities.

On Aug 18, 2015 6:31 PM, "Dimitri Staessens" <
dimitri.staessens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2) Is there any particular part of the development where more focus is
needed?

There's a lot of work to be done! So it all depends on your interests and
skills.
What is your background?

I come from a computer science background, having attempted to specialize
in networking. At one point I was attempting to improve mobility on
computer networks and hit a wall because of, what I later learned, was an
flaw in the network naming architecture. In my frantic search for answers,
I came across John Day's book, which eventually lead me to your efforts.

Most of the code I have produced is in C++, due to the use of simulators,
but currently am working using C for RTOS environments.

What is your current environment?

Debian Jessie.

Since we are developing an internetworking stack, you will need a couple
of systems for testing. Do you have some physical machines you can toy
around with or will you be running VMs?

For now I am using VMs under KVM. I do have a purchase for hardware
planned, but thought it would be best to consult with you guys before doing
anything rash.

Have you already tried running the stack?

I have the Pristine 1.3 branch running on VMs using the DIF over two vlan
tutorial on the Github wiki using Debian Jessie.

Speaking for myself, I think stresstesting and bugfixing essential
components such as
flow allocation, enrollment and the core protocol (EFCP) is something we
could use help with.
So not really developing new features but cleaning up and stabilising the
core of the implementation.
Depending on your interests, the guys who are maintaining that part can
point you to more specific
issues. It's holidays now, so responses may be sluggish.

I am aware that I need to learn more about the code you have written before
attempting anything, so I think that bugfixing on the core code would suit
me. I think having a guiding hand would be best, so that I can be more
efficient and hopefully free the team up to do other things.

it will be great to have you onboard! You'll get some more info from
the other guys around, I'm sure.

Thank you for being so welcoming! I look forward to hearing from the rest
of the team and working with all of you.

Best regards,

--
Jairo Eduardo Lopez
Secure email with PGP 0x663658F373892F83 at http://keyserver.pgp.com/