[irati] Re: How to contribute to project

  • From: Dimitri Staessens <dimitri.staessens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: irati@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 11:31:41 +0200

Hi Jairo,

thanks for showing interest in our work! Apologies in advance that I
answer your questions with a lot more questions :)

On 08/17/2015 06:16 PM, Jairo Eduardo López wrote:

Good afternoon,

I am interested in RINA and have been lurking around your code and
Github repository for a while. I tend to understand the gist of what it
is the team is doing, but, since I am parachuting into a mature
development cycle, most of the details go over my head.

I would like to contribute to your efforts. For that to happen, it would
be great to know a couple of things before getting started.

1) Are there any minimum requirements to contribute (Professional,
legal, etc.)?
All that's needed is interest in what we're trying to achieve and programming
skills, but since you're already here, that shouldn't be a problem.
2) Is there any particular part of the development where more focus is
needed?
There's a lot of work to be done! So it all depends on your interests and skills.
What is your background? What is your current environment? Since we are developing
an internetworking stack, you will need a couple of systems for testing. Do you have
some physical machines you can toy around with or will you be running VMs? Have
you already tried running the stack?
3) What would be the best way to start helping out?
Speaking for myself, I think stresstesting and bugfixing essential components such as
flow allocation, enrollment and the core protocol (EFCP) is something we could use help with.
So not really developing new features but cleaning up and stabilising the core of the implementation.
Depending on your interests, the guys who are maintaining that part can point you to more specific
issues. It's holidays now, so responses may be sluggish.
You can always look at the issues on github, pick one and have a stab at it, just create a
new branch for the issue in your fork of the repo and issue a pull request with an update when you're done.
Best for now is to issue pull requests against the pristine-1.3 branch.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to working
with the team.
it will be great to have you onboard! You'll get some more info from the other guys around, I'm sure.

Best regards,

cheers,

Dimitri

--