[infoshare] Re: taking the train

  • From: Ellen Rubin <ellenr5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: infoshare@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 08:26:52 -0700

Hi Eliza,

Weird, when I get to the Customer Service office, they usually help me get my ticket either at the machine or at window 13, then depending on how long I have before the train leaves, they take me to the general waiting area. I actually hate it as I am never sure that they will remember me!! They plop me down sometimes too far from the desk for me to find it easily...not only that, I hear the automatic sign flipping --indicating a change and I never know if the change is regarding my particular train. I prefer staying in the Customer Service Office because if I start to get nervous, there is always someone there to pester!

Ellen

At 08:02 AM 6/4/2009, you wrote:
Hi Ellen,
That certainly is useful. I had no idea that there was a particular
window for us.  I'll aim for that when I go tomorrow.  In the past
I've just found the customer service office with help, but when I go
there, they usually want me to wait in there until the train comes,
when I'd rather wait in the general waiting area.
        Thanks for this,
        Eliza
On Jun 4, 2009, at 10:21 AM, Ellen Rubin wrote:

Hi Eliza,

Hope this info is still needed!

Like Lynnette, I am pretty sure that the machines are NO
T accessible.

There are two ways that I deal with Penn Station. First, I assume
that you will be traveling on Amtrak.

Once you find the ticket windows, window #13 is the "disability
ticket window".
 When you are standing in front of the ticket windows, 13 is almost
all the way to your right. you
Usually there is no line, and no one sitting right there. But, when
you get to the window, there are people on the right and left--get
their attention and they will give you your reserved tickets. You
need to have your confirmation number with you. Then they will get
someone to assist you to the train.

Another option is   to go directly to the Customer Service or
Passenger Service office.
It is even farther to your right as you face the ticket windows.
It is between tracks 15 and 16. I find that helps pretty much anyone
you ask to help locate it! Once there, they should be helpful.

I also always try and enter the station at the 8th Avenue and 31st
entrance--I more or less know my way from there. That is probably
not so convenient for you, coming from the east side.

Hope this is useful!
Have a great trip!
Ellen

At 03:36 PM 6/1/2009, you wrote:
Hi list,
       I've taken Amtrak trains from Penn Station a number of times
before,
but I always have gotten an employee to help me find the ticket
window
and get my ticket and to the train, etc.  I'm headed out of state
again this weekend, and am wondering if anyone knows if the ticket
machines are accessible?  I've got my reservation, so it would be
cool
if I could use the machine to pick it up myself.  How do you all
handle navigating Penn Station?
       Thanks,
       Eliza