[infoshare] Re: taking the train

  • From: Eliza Cooper <eliza.l.cooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: infoshare@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 11:02:39 -0400

Hi Ellen,
That certainly is useful. I had no idea that there was a particular window for us. I'll aim for that when I go tomorrow. In the past I've just found the customer service office with help, but when I go there, they usually want me to wait in there until the train comes, when I'd rather wait in the general waiting area.
        Thanks for this,
        Eliza
On Jun 4, 2009, at 10:21 AM, Ellen Rubin wrote:

Hi Eliza,

Hope this info is still needed!

Like Lynnette, I am pretty sure that the machines are NO
T accessible.

There are two ways that I deal with Penn Station. First, I assume that you will be traveling on Amtrak.

Once you find the ticket windows, window #13 is the "disability ticket window". When you are standing in front of the ticket windows, 13 is almost all the way to your right. you Usually there is no line, and no one sitting right there. But, when you get to the window, there are people on the right and left--get their attention and they will give you your reserved tickets. You need to have your confirmation number with you. Then they will get someone to assist you to the train.

Another option is to go directly to the Customer Service or Passenger Service office. It is even farther to your right as you face the ticket windows. It is between tracks 15 and 16. I find that helps pretty much anyone you ask to help locate it! Once there, they should be helpful.

I also always try and enter the station at the 8th Avenue and 31st entrance--I more or less know my way from there. That is probably not so convenient for you, coming from the east side.

Hope this is useful!
Have a great trip!
Ellen

At 03:36 PM 6/1/2009, you wrote:
Hi list,
I've taken Amtrak trains from Penn Station a number of times before, but I always have gotten an employee to help me find the ticket window
and get my ticket and to the train, etc.  I'm headed out of state
again this weekend, and am wondering if anyone knows if the ticket
machines are accessible? I've got my reservation, so it would be cool
if I could use the machine to pick it up myself.  How do you all
handle navigating Penn Station?
       Thanks,
       Eliza