[ineptgolfers] Re: Bash format

  • From: RBRM1212 <rbrm1212@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ineptgolfers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ineptgolfers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 20:08:25 -0400

On Oct 20, 2014, at 7:18 PM, P Declan O'Riordan <declanor@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I agree with John on how to deal with Jack (and thanks, John, for raising the
> issue); it would be quite unfair to his partners to do otherwise. It seems to
> me that using Stableford would make it much easier, since all we need to do
> is to inform his partners (and the pro shop, if necessary) that his group
> should score only the other three stableford scores and gross up by a third
> at the end of the day. There would then be no need to go through the
> gyrations of substituting a blind partner's score. It would also mean that we
> could post the scores in the breezeway and Jack could get whatever prize his
> partners had earned for him.

If only group totals are posted then it doesn’t matter which system is used.

The “gyrations” of inserting a blind draw would be done by the pro shop, so no
problem for us.

And speaking of gyrations, for two-best ball all you have to do is write down
the two best net scores at each hole. (I write down everyone’s gross and net,
but that’s just me.) In Stableford, everyone’s gross score must be converted to
a net score and then converted again to the Stableford score and then four
numbers must be summed instead of only two. There’s much greater opportunity
for error, it’s harder to check the scoring, and all of that is more deserving
of the “gyrations” descriptor.

> The only issue is that we should ensure that he is in a foursome rather than
> a threesome to make this work well. I don't think it would be necessary to
> inform Jack himself, or Diane, or anyone else except his partners and
> ourselves, and possibly the pro shop, unless someone asks. I think everyone
> will understand perfectly if it is explained to them.

On second thought, I agree with this.

> BTW, another advantage of using Stableford is that we don't have to discuss
> using the 80% Handicap Allowance for two best balls out of four. Four
> Stableford scores is essentially stoke-play for which we should use 100%. In
> addition, we don't have the requirement for a potential blind partner to putt
> out every hole, as we would with two-best-balls; everyone putts out if they
> can score a point.

Determine who the blind draw will be before play starts, let him know who he
is, and only that one extra person has to put out. In Stableford, instead of
one blind partner having to putt out, everyone in every group has to putt out.
How is that better?

        JV