[ineptgolfers] Re: Bash format

  • From: P Declan O'Riordan <declanor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ineptgolfers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ineptgolfers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 19:18:38 -0400

I agree with John on how to deal with Jack (and thanks, John, for raising the
issue); it would be quite unfair to his partners to do otherwise. It seems to
me that using Stableford would make it much easier, since all we need to do is
to inform his partners (and the pro shop, if necessary) that his group should
score only the other three stableford scores and gross up by a third at the end
of the day. There would then be no need to go through the gyrations of
substituting a blind partner's score. It would also mean that we could post the
scores in the breezeway and Jack could get whatever prize his partners had
earned for him. The only issue is that we should ensure that he is in a
foursome rather than a threesome to make this work well. I don't think it would
be necessary to inform Jack himself, or Diane, or anyone else except his
partners and ourselves, and possibly the pro shop, unless someone asks. I think
everyone will understand perfectly if it is explained to them.
BTW, another advantage of using Stableford is that we don't have to discuss
using the 80% Handicap Allowance for two best balls out of four. Four
Stableford scores is essentially stoke-play for which we should use 100%. In
addition, we don't have the requirement for a potential blind partner to putt
out every hole, as we would with two-best-balls; everyone putts out if they can
score a point.

Declan

From: johnvarela@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ineptgolfers] Re: Bash format
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 18:43:14 -0400
To: ineptgolfers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I see Jack is playing both days. That’s really unfair to the three other
players who draw him as a partner. This is reasonably serious prize money.
My suggestion is that his score should not count and that the group that
includes him should be treated in the same way we treat any other three-player
group. And the players who get him should be informed EARLY that this is how it
will be done. (If it’s already planned to do that then I apologize for wasting
your time.)
If this is done, should he share in the prize money? My inclination is NO, but
only if he can be prevented from understanding what’s going on. This may sound
awful, but even if he hears an announcement that he’s won $X in pro shop
credit, it may not matter because he won’t remember it. It should probably be
explained to Diane what we’re doing and why. Maybe we should get her OK in
advance.
There’s also a little problem of how scores and prizes will be posted in the
breezeway. Maybe they shouldn’t be posted.
If this is done and works well, we could do the same whenever he plays as an
alternate during the season.
        John

On Oct 20, 2014, at 11:18 AM, P Declan O'Riordan <declanor@xxxxxxx> wrote:In
the past we have used the two-best-balls format for the Bash, which has
required using blind partners, which is usually complicated by having some
people playing one day only. Does anyone think it would be better to use
standard Stableford and gross up the threesomes as we do on Tuesdays?
Declan