[PCB_FORUM] Re: Dual Plane VIA Connection Question

  • From: Stella Yap <seanstella@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:29:05 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

  I ran into the same situation that you have.  As there is no solution, just
workaround, even from Cadence support.  Well, there are many properties you can
attach to via, but this exception is one of them.  I asked for product
improvement, it is NOT going to be considered.
  So, I resorted to use manual voids.

  Regards,
  Stella

Vince Di Lello <vince.dilello@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
        Here?s hoping one of you great designers out there (and Allegro expert)
can help me out ? in the picture below you will see a light blue external (Top
Side) 3.3V plane. Inside this board (but not shown) is a separate 3.3V plane.
What I would like to do is have the (3) vias at the top of the picture (coming
off the electrolytic cap) make connection with the internal 3.3V plane and then
connect to the electrolytic cap with traces as shown in the picture. The 3.3V
then travels down this small external plane coming into contact with some other
capacitors and ultimately ends at the two vias at the bottom which carry the
current from the top side of the board to the bottom side of the board where in
turn there are two traces that connect to two bottom side pads of a bottom side
connector. Now for my problem ? the two
  vias at
 the bottom of the light blue area are now also connected to the INTERNAL 3.3V
master plane (for clarity sake I did not turn that plane on). I DO NOT WANT
them to connect to the internal 3.3V plane. I want to force the 3.3V signal to
have to travel through the caps and then into the connector pads on the
external layer only. Is there a setting or a property that I can add to those
two vias so that they get connected to the small external 3.3V copper plane,
but NOT to the INTERNAL 3.3V master plane?

  Any help, especially on a weekend, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
advance and I hope all who are listening will have a great weekend ? at least
what is remaining of it. Thanks again.

  Vincent Di Lello, CID+

Yahoo! Mail

JPEG image