Re: [icon-users] Find/Replace

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 19:21:14 +0100

In message <54a037db7aj.mccartney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          John McCartney <j.mccartney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a document which I am converting from Impression to
> TechWriter.

> I exported the text with just 'With styles' selected and
> dropped it into the open TechWriter window.

> Too late! I realise that the double returns I had in the
> Impression document manifest as unwanted double returns in
> TechWriter.

> No problem. Hit F4 and carry out a Find/Replace. Enter @n@n
> in the 'Find' field and @n in the 'Replace with' field.

> TechWriter reports that it can't find @n@n.

Yes. @n means "find the given string at the end of the paragraph
only". It is not actually part of the search string, it just provides
context, and as such it is not replaced. So, if "abc" is at the end of
a paragraph, the result after "Replace" is the same no matter whether
the search string was "abc@n" or "abc" (but "abc@n" only finds "abc"
at the end of a paragraph).

It would not be too hard to add "@n@n" to mean "match at the end of a
paragraph that is followed by an empty paragraph", but it still would
not help you because the paragraph ends cannot be replaced.

> Is there a way of carrying out that substitution without
> using a text editor as an intermediate step. I've done this
> in the past but would like to do it from within TechWriter.

No, sorry, you cannot do that in TechWriter. TechWriter's search and
replace only works within a paragraph.

Martin