Re: [icon-users] EasiWriter crash

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 18:44:59 +0200

In message <4f2d8a76e6riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <e107852d4f.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Martin Wuerthner
> <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In message <4f2d816323riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Richard Ashbery
>>           <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Internal error, trap while in trap handler: Internal error: abort
>>> on data transfer at FC146300, pc = FC1462F8: registers at 124C38
>>> [...]
>>> May be someone can explain this.
>>
>> Yes, that is a typical error. It is most probably a buffer overflow
>> because some buffer on the stack is not large enough to hold the
>> long pathname. In particular, this occurs when command lines have
>> to be constructed - as in this case, for InterGIF, which is used
>> to export the graphics. That should be easy to fix.
>
> Does that mean a modification to InterGIF.

No, it means fixing EasiWriter. Done.

But somehow I am still puzzled. I could reproduce your problem, but
only with an extremely verbose directory structure. It still works
fine when exporting to:

ADFS::Toccata.$.Test.EasiWriter.This is a long directory name.longer than
should be allowed.But not deep enough even.How could that happen

but it fails when exporting to

ADFS::Toccata.$.Test.EasiWriter.This is a long directory name.longer than
should be allowed.But not deep enough even.How could that happen.I cannot
believe your structure is that deep

I need to extend the Filer window to almost the complete width of the
screen just to see the full pathname. Are you seriously using such a
long directory path? It takes a target directory name with almost 200
characters to make it crash. Anyway, it will be fixed in the next
release version.

A word of warning: This is very close to limit in the RISC OS data
transfer protocol. You should expect practically all applications to
go wrong when your pathnames get just a bit longer. In theory, RISC OS
allows 256 characters but in the desktop, only 212 are allowed.

Martin