Re: [icon-users] EasiWriter crash

  • From: Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 14:18:47 +0100

In article <e107852d4f.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Martin Wuerthner
<lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > 4-levels depth a re-coverable error message of the form:

> > Internal error, trap while in trap handler: Internal error: abort on
> > data transfer at FC146300, pc = FC1462F8: registers at 124C38

> > (Incidentally...... David Ruck's where reports a SharedCLibrary error
> > - I don't know if this is relevant).

> > May be someone can explain this.

> Yes, that is a typical error. It is most probably a buffer overflow
> because some buffer on the stack is not large enough to hold the long
> pathname. In particular, this occurs when command lines have to be
> constructed - as in this case, for InterGIF, which is used to export
> the graphics. That should be easy to fix.

Is it worth clarifying that it is not the depth of the pathname per se,
but its physical length which causes problems.

i.e. $.a.b.c.d.e.f.g.h.i.j.file

maybe okay, whereas

$.a very very long folder name because my OS lets me do this.file

may not be.

(Though most buffers and suchlike will allow much longer paths than my
short examples.)

After all, one EW file here
(ADFS::HardDisc4.$.!Files.Files.TFT.Theatre.Shows.200712 _Aladdin.notes)
is more than the five levels deep and doesn't seem to cause problems.

--
Tim Hill,

www.timil.com