[icon-discuss] Re: 0.9.3 released

  • From: "John McCann" <lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:28:59 -0500

I received my Icon just this past monday, and upgraded to 0.9.3 today (just
hours ago); my point in mentioning this is to say that I had not had
extensive experience with version 0.9.2, but clearly 0.9.3 is a very welcome
improvement. I am particularly happy about the fact that this latest version
fixes the bug with the recorder where I had to go into file explorer to play
back my recordings. I'm also very happy about another glitch with the word
processor which has now been fixed. With version 0.9.2, I wrote the folowing
text (note the punctuation):

Hello John: How are you doing? I am doing fine.

Now, with the previous version, when scrolling backwards to the beginning of
that text, whether by words or characters, the icon simply would not
recognize anything prior to the colon; either it wasn't being recognized, or
somehow that backwards review trashed everything before the colon. I was
going to comment about this, but no need now.

And with particular references to the changes, Michael wrote:

[JMJ]: "We now speak the software version after system startup."

Hmmm, that's not happening with my unit; no big deal; that information can
always be accessed via the menu system, but my icon does not announce the
version number upon boot-up.

[JMJ]: "We added a sleep timer to the general settings item."

Sweet!!!

And,

[JMJ]: "We now don't announce the number of seconds by which the clock was
adjusted when synchronizing with the internet."

Gee, why remove that announcement? I rather liked receiving that
information. Okay, strictly speaking, there's no real significance to that
information, except to telegraph the fact that the icon's clock wouldn't
even remotely pass muster as a time standard, <smile>! That having been
said, though, I didn't by the Icon for use as a time reference, and its easy
enough to pull the time off the internet when you need or want the unit's
time setting to be extremely accurate.

Again, this is a very nice, and even after only having the unit for two
days, a very welcome upgrade.

Keep up the fine work!

John