[ibis-quality] Re: Minutes, IBIS Quality Teleconference, July 12, 2005

  • From: "Mike LaBonte (milabont)" <milabont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-quality@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:30:20 -0400

I think the common notion that differential termination can be viewed
such that the "center" of the terminator resistor is fixed at the common
mode voltage is a reasonable approximation, if the termination is to be
built into each buffer individually. I think [Series Pin Mapping] is
better, but sometimes you have to carefully de-embed the built-in
termination when extracting. Parts with external terminator power can
also use [Series Pin Mapping], although I am not aware of how well
various simulators will handle this.

The topic of on-die termination came up in the IQ phone call today.
Although there seems to be no clear policy on how to model every type of
termination in IBIS, we at least agreed that IBIS files should document
the approaches taken within. It wouldn't hurt for the IQ document to
recommend approaches for the cut-and-dried cases, like single-ended
static termination. If anyone has best-practice recommendations on how
to do dynamic termination and differential, that would help.

Mike