[ibis-quality] Re: IV curve sweep range

  • From: "Tom Dagostino" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-quality@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:59:04 -0700

My thoughts about this have been along the lines of the amount of current
that has to be sunk by the buffer that is seeing the reflection.  If you are
working with a 50 Ohm system the maximum current that could be imposed on
the buffer relates to the voltage swing and the impedance of the
transmission line.  For a 5 Volt system and 50 Ohms line it sounds like 100
mA.  If it was a RAMBUS system of 3.3V and 27 Ohms its 122 mA.  A 1.5V swing
and 50 Ohms is 30 mA., etc.  If we limit the tables to say 250 mA we should
never see a reflection that exceeds the currents available in the net.

Tom Dagostino
Teraspeed(R) Labs
13610 SW Harness Lane
Beaverton, OR 97008