[ibis-macro] Re: Question about Model Specific parameters

  • From: Mike LaBonte <milabont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arpad Muranyi <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>, IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 08:47:28 -0500

Although the tool may not know the meaning of the Model Specific parameters,
it knows the name and type of each and it has the opportunity to simply
present them to the user in a display or report. The model may wish to have
some non-essential outputs presented to the user. For example, it could
report confidence metrics on how accurate the model is believed to be with
the given tap settings. That would justify usage Out.

Usage InOut might be justified if the model requires a set of inputs that
have some complex relationship defining the allowable ranges, which AMI is
unable to support. For example one parameter might allow a value up to 15 in
most cases, but only up to 12 if some other parameter has crossed some
threshold. In that case the tool is unable to understand and enforce the
rules exactly. The model will have to check and I'm sure it would like to
report back any adjustments it had to make.

An alternative would be to adopt the rule that Model Specific can not be
InOut, and model makers could add "Actual_..." Out Model Specific parameters
to report back to users. But to have a control that has built-in feedback
the InOut type would be best. Think of the f-stop control on a camera lens,
which can only go down so far based on what the zoom level is.

Walter's Dependency Table BIRD 124 is related, but I'm not sure it covers
all possible internal dependencies. It seems to be mostly about
automatically setting some parameters based on how others are set. Limits
are a different matter, and of course models could want to report any kind
of metric that is non-essential to simulation.

Mike