[ian-reeds-games] Re: I gotta go see a man about a script...

  • From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 21:23:23 -0400

Thanks! I definetly owe you one.

Yeah, I have a hard time trying to explain things.
What I was going for was something that would reveal a units status while
employing certain skills.

For instance, there is a number of units in starcraft that have things like
cloaking devices and use shields.
I was trying to use transform for all of that. The problem was that transform
tends to hiccup sometimes.
However the nice thing about transforming units when they turn on a cloak or
shield is at the transform unit would be called cloaked or shielded.
This makes it really nice for a player. All they had to do was focus on that
unit and they new immediately what it's status was concerning those special
abilities.

With the add and remove skills flags, I can get a much Stabler use of those
powers, but at the expense of that simple and handy info. So that's why I
thought it would be nice to be able to put that kind of status into a units
name when he uses that particular skill or effect. If there was already a name
for that unit, then I can easily see a word placed in front of it giving some
kind of status to a player about that unit. Of course it could be a totally
different and better thing to do something else, but that's what my
nonprogramming brain came up with,lol.