[i3-discuss] Re: i3 laptop adventures

  • From: Mrrob <rob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: i3-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 09:22:51 +0800

Hi Jeff,

I don't have much to add but I will say that it took me forever to figure out that dmenu's runtime options require a dash between the font and the size:

dmenu_run ..... -fn "ohsnap-16"

hope that helps and kind regards,

---
mrrob
---

On 20/12/15 23:42, Ingo Bürk wrote:

https://github.com/i3/i3/issues/2114 :)

On 12/20/2015 10:40 AM, Bryan Everly wrote:
Hi

For #2 I have done a cursor theme and it works everywhere but in the
i3bar and the i3 exit menu at the top of the screen.

Thanks,
Bryan

On Dec 20, 2015, at 10:34 AM, Ingo Bürk

Hi Jeff,

#1: Correct, i3 does not read the value from xrdb. Your "workaround"
is currently the actually correct solution.
#2: The cursor size is not a window manager topic. You need to use a
cursor theme supporting multiple sizes and then set the correct size.
See the ArchWiki for cursor themes for more information.
#3: See "man i3status", you need to tell i3status the sysfs path to
your battery in the config.
#4: This isn't a window manager topic and hence nothing i3 does or
should be doing. There's multiple mechanisms to achieve this kind of
behavior, a good place to start is the ArchWiki (even if you're not
on Archlinux).
#5: dmenu isn't developed by i3, hence also not an i3 issue. There
are forks of dmenu that alllow more features and control, you'll have
to use those (or apply the patches yourself). Nothing we can do about it.

Regards
Ingo

On 12/20/2015 09:40 AM, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
Migrating to a new laptop with a very nice screen, I've had a few
adventures I don't find in the docs or FAQ. To be fair, I
experience most of this as well on my old laptop (a very different
machine), but I'd gotten used to it. Anyway a couple questions:

*1. DPI. *I have this in my .Xresources

Xft.dpi: 192
Xft.autohint: false
Xft.lcdfilter: lcddefault
Xft.hintstyle: hintfull
Xft.hinting: true
Xft.antialias: true
Xft.rgba: rgb

But at least as far as i3 is concerned, it doesn't seem to matter.
Invoking "xrandr --dpi 192" does the trick. I've added this to my
.xsessionrc, which I'll test on next restart, but it seems a hack.
Did I make a mistake in .Xresources? (Fwiw, xdpyinfo | grep
resolution confirms both the non-working state before (is 96) and
the working state after (is 192).)

I login from the standard ubuntu login widget, fwiw.
/
/

*2. X mouse cursor. *The mouse cursor is tiny.

/
*3. battery status in i3bar. *In i3bar I see that i3status shows
battery status as "no battery". I'm not sure, even reading the
source, precisely what i3status is looking at to learn battery
status nor why it should work. I think it comes down to these two
lines in i3status.h:

yajl_gen_string(json_gen, (const unsigned char *)
"instance", strlen("instance")); \
yajl_gen_string(json_gen, (const unsigned char
*)instance, strlen(instance)); \

Anyway...

Meanwhile, I can read battery status quite nicely using upower -e to
discover the battery and upower -i $battery to read its state. So I
wrote a little script to warn me via notify-send of low battery
conditions. But maybe I can do better. And maybe I can change that
"no battery" to something informative.

*/
*4. hibernation.*. Closing the lid neither causes the screen to
lock nor the machine to hibernate. I wrote a script to poll
/proc/acpi/button/lid/LID*/stateonce a second, but this seems a hack
even if it works.
/

*5. dmenu and font size. *I've become fond of dmenu_run, but it
doesn't pay attention to my requests to use a pango font with
reasonable font size, so I get tiny text. I've not found a
suggestion for how to do this except to apply unmerged patches to
dmenu. I suspect those posts must be quite old, since retina
screens are common enough now that I'd think something would be
merged. Any suggestions?
/

Many thanks for any tips!

Jeff Abrahamson
+33 6 24 40 01 57
+44 7920 594 255 <-- only when I'm in the UK
<http://www.ml-week.com/>http://ml-week.com/*prochaine edition, 2016*

<http://jeff.purple.com/>http://jeff.purple.com/
<http://blog.purple.com/jeff/>http://blog.purple.com/jeff/