[i3-discuss] Set environment variable only for i3 session

  • To: i3-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 20:45:00 +0100

Hello,

I need to set a enviromment variable:

QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME="qt5ct"

it's needed for KDE application when run under i3 and it's important to be set
only under i3, somehow it makes KDE behave weird.

(side note: if anyone knows how to get icons for KDE 5 (KF5) application, I'm
open to any other solutions) [1]

I tried to use ~/.profile

% cat .profile
if [ $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP="i3" ]; then
export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME="qt5ct"
fi

export FLO_TEST_DOTPROFILE="flotest"

and ~/.xinitrc. But neither of these are even executed. ~/.pam_environment
works, but it's executed under KDE too and I can't put any if-logic there.

I use zsh, so .zprofile might be correct, but I don't want to have it set for
shell sessions only, but for any applications started inside the session.

What is the best way to set a session wide environment variable only for i3?

Login manager is SSDM, distribution is Arch.

Thanks and happy x-mas for whatever you are going to celebrate or not... ;-)

Florian

[1] https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=224&t=128749