[i3-discuss] Re: i3 laptop adventures

  • From: Bryan Everly <bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: i3-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 10:08:17 -0500

Having the same problem as you for #1 and #2.

Thanks,
Bryan

On Dec 20, 2015, at 9:40 AM, Jeff Abrahamson <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Migrating to a new laptop with a very nice screen, I've had a few
adventures I don't find in the docs or FAQ. To be fair, I experience most
of this as well on my old laptop (a very different machine), but I'd gotten
used to it. Anyway a couple questions:

*1. DPI. *I have this in my .Xresources

Xft.dpi: 192
Xft.autohint: false
Xft.lcdfilter: lcddefault
Xft.hintstyle: hintfull
Xft.hinting: true
Xft.antialias: true
Xft.rgba: rgb

But at least as far as i3 is concerned, it doesn't seem to matter.
Invoking "xrandr --dpi 192" does the trick. I've added this to my
.xsessionrc, which I'll test on next restart, but it seems a hack. Did I
make a mistake in .Xresources? (Fwiw, xdpyinfo | grep resolution confirms
both the non-working state before (is 96) and the working state after (is
192).)

I login from the standard ubuntu login widget, fwiw.

*2. X mouse cursor. *The mouse cursor is tiny.

*3. battery status in i3bar. *In i3bar I see that i3status shows battery
status as "no battery". I'm not sure, even reading the source, precisely
what i3status is looking at to learn battery status nor why it should
work. I think it comes down to these two lines in i3status.h:

yajl_gen_string(json_gen, (const unsigned char *) "instance",
strlen("instance")); \
yajl_gen_string(json_gen, (const unsigned char *)instance,
strlen(instance)); \

Anyway...

Meanwhile, I can read battery status quite nicely using upower -e to
discover the battery and upower -i $battery to read its state. So I wrote
a little script to warn me via notify-send of low battery conditions. But
maybe I can do better. And maybe I can change that "no battery" to
something informative.

*4. hibernation.*. Closing the lid neither causes the screen to lock nor
the machine to hibernate. I wrote a script to poll
/proc/acpi/button/lid/LID*/state once a second, but this seems a hack even
if it works.

*5. dmenu and font size. *I've become fond of dmenu_run, but it doesn't
pay attention to my requests to use a pango font with reasonable font size,
so I get tiny text. I've not found a suggestion for how to do this except
to apply unmerged patches to dmenu. I suspect those posts must be quite
old, since retina screens are common enough now that I'd think something
would be merged. Any suggestions?

Many thanks for any tips!

Jeff Abrahamson
+33 6 24 40 01 57
+44 7920 594 255 <-- only when I'm in the UK
http://ml-week.com/ <http://www.ml-week.com/>* prochaine edition, 2016*

http://jeff.purple.com/
http://blog.purple.com/jeff/