[huskerlug] Re: accessing non-linux partitions

  • From: Roger Feese <rfeese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 13:43:39 -0500

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 12:14:08PM -0500, Jim Worrest wrote:
[mounting other partitions]
> The last Knoppix I found that did something in the old-fashioned way,
> was 5.1.1, and even then I had to fiddle with fstab, so that as a regular
> user, I could access windows partitions.  The latest Debian while giving
> you a rather fitful way of accessing other partitions it wants you to be
> root to do it, and of course, you can't do that from a gui as user, or
> at least I didn't find a way to do it.

It sounds like you are dealing with filesystem permissions problems.
Different filesystems have different user permissions capabilities. NTFS
and FAT systems have different capabilities and so when you mount these,
you need to specify permissions options if you want to allow regular
users to access them. By default they only allow root access. See the
replies from techworld.mail in this thread.

You may also want to investigate using FUSE to mount filesystems as a
regular user.

> That I'm aware of and that is something of a pain.  I'm not quite sure
> the advantage of "sudo" over using "su"  :-\

Sudo just another layer of damage control, and I highly recommend using
it. With sudo you are typically just running one command at a time as
root. I use this all the time in Debian when I find that I want to
install or update software.

On a system with multiple admins, sudo is useful for providing
fine-grained admin access to different users.

-Rog

Roger Feese