[huskerlug] Re: accessing non-linux partitions

  • From: Roger Feese <rfeese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 09:10:04 -0500

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 08:02:15AM -0500, Jim Worrest wrote:
> I seem to have noticed that there is a new way to access partitions,
> with Debian based Linuxes anyway.  Referring to a file etc. Is there an easy
> way to get something that looks like the old way, and the average user can
> access them.

Can you provide more detail? I am not sure what you are describing. As
far as I know, not much has changed as far as mounting and accessing
file systems. Are you talking about accessing a NTFS partition or a
removeable media? Are you doing this from the command line or using a
graphical desktop?

> By the way, I also notice that Debian doesn't like to have a
> user named "root" which may be one of the easier ways of doing things, Any
> way of having a "root" user?

Debian, and as far as I know, every distro has a root user. I think that
by default Debian does not allow you to log into X as root. The standard
way to become root: Login to X as your normal user account and then open
a terminal and use the "su" command to become root or install and use
"sudo" to be able to run commands as root. The standard Debian install
process has you set the root password and create a standard user
account.

If you don't have access to a standard user account, switch to one of
the text consoles (Ctrl-Alt-F1...F6) and log in as root and add an
account for yourself or change your password.

Alternately, you can configure the system to allow you to log into X as
root but I am not sure where you configure this...it may be in the
display manager (gdm, kdm, xdm, etc.).

-Rog

Roger Feese