[huskerlug] Re: accessing non-linux partitions

  • From: Jim Worrest <jworrest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 12:14:08 -0500

Roger Feese wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 08:02:15AM -0500, Jim Worrest wrote:
>
>> I seem to have noticed that there is a new way to access partitions,
>> with Debian based Linuxes anyway.  Referring to a file etc. Is there an easy
>> way to get something that looks like the old way, and the average user can
>> access them.
>>

> Can you provide more detail? I am not sure what you are describing. As
> far as I know, not much has changed as far as mounting and accessing
> file systems. Are you talking about accessing a NTFS partition or a
> removeable media? Are you doing this from the command line or using a
> graphical desktop?

Actually, I'm thinking of Windows 98 partitions and partitions of other
Linuxes on a computer.  It of course would be handy to mount an NTFS
partition -- on occasion. ;-)

The last Knoppix I found that did something in the old-fashioned way,
was 5.1.1, and even then I had to fiddle with fstab, so that as a regular
user, I could access windows partitions.  The latest Debian while giving
you a rather fitful way of accessing other partitions it wants you to be
root to do it, and of course, you can't do that from a gui as user, or
at least I didn't find a way to do it.

>> By the way, I also notice that Debian doesn't like to have a
>> user named "root" which may be one of the easier ways of doing things, Any
>> way of having a "root" user?
>>

> Debian, and as far as I know, every distro has a root user. I think that
> by default Debian does not allow you to log into X as root. The standard
> way to become root: Login to X as your normal user account and then open
> a terminal and use the "su" command to become root or install and use
> "sudo" to be able to run commands as root. The standard Debian install
> process has you set the root password and create a standard user
> account.

That I'm aware of and that is something of a pain.  I'm not quite sure
the advantage of "sudo" over using "su"  :-\