[huskerlug] Re: Easy Question? User alias?

  • From: Carl Lundstedt <clundst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 26 Aug 2002 13:29:24 -0400

Got it.
Here's what I did (basically what JR suggested), your mileage may vary
if you wish to do this.
(AS ROOT)

more /etc/passwd
identified the user I wanted to alias, let's say it look like:
hlug1:x:500:500::/home/hlug1:/bin/bash

I then did a:
adduser -u500 hlug2
then, vi /etc/passwd and changed the uid for hlug2 and the home
directory

before: hlug2:x:500:501::/home/hlug2:/bin/bash
after: hlug2:x:500:500::/home/hlug1:/bin/bash
(You should be able to just copy/paste as JR suggested, but I was
working on it when JR's email came in.)
(still as root)

passwd hlug2
NEW Unix password: xxxxxxxx   <- set to the same as hlug1

logged out.  Now I:
ssh -lhlug2 server.unl.edu
hlug2@server's password: xxxxxxxxx
Last login: Mon Aug 26 12:15:32 2002 from sshclient.unl.edu
[hlug1@server hlug1]$ whoami
hlug1

:)

Carl Lundstedt