[huskerlug] Re: DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

  • From: Jim Worrest <jworrest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 02:49:24 -0500

GreyGeek wrote:
> James Worrest wrote:
>
>> I'm not really surprised that Ubuntu is stable, unfortunately as I said,  I
>> was amazed and displeased on how closely they follow Debian.  It is amazing
>> how little some of these developers pay attention to the applications.
>> After seeing how poorly KDE4
>> worked when it first came out (did they ever fix kb3 yet, by the way?)
>>
> The KDE4 version of K3b is due out shortly.  The author had to add a
> special procedure to QProcess so that he could do multiple threading
> without mutex and still allow the threads to talk to each other, which
> took some doing to get it the way he wanted it.  This was in addition to
> having to rewrite K3b in QT4.
>

>> and some of it's applications not working, it makes absolutely no difference
>> to me when KDE4 comes out on anything.
>>
> mmm... I am running KDE4.2.1 on Kubuntu 9.04 beta and the only app I've
> found that doesn't run well on it, so far, is SecondLife... but it
> doesn't run well on any Linux desktop.
>

>> At least as far as desktop Linux is concerned, there seems to be too much in
>> the wrappings (eye candy)  of the package (GUIs) than there is in the
>> package itself.  Now, I am all in getting more hardware to work, but
>> sometimes this isn't even the case, the Hardware Abstraction Layer
>> (Devices?) didn't do as good of job of detecting and working with my hard
>> drives than what was used in the older distributions.
>>

> "too much eye candy"?     :-(   Now, Jim, that is downright lame.
> You're beginning to sound like a Windows fanboi grasping at straws
> trying to find something to criticize.    Eye candy is totally under
> your control.  That is no different from some complaining about the
> wallpaper.      Sheesh...
>
>> Not having Seamonkey, Iceape, in the latest Debian based releases (hey so
>> they don't update them every 15 minutes, that really shouldn't be a problem,
>> especially for Debian) really has me miffed.
>> For desktop systems, it's the applications.
>>
>> So, I'm not highly pleased with some of the latest happenings, I know that
>> Etch is going back on one computer and not Lenny.  I'm not sure PCLinuxOS is
>> going back on that computer, because I have yet to have a LiveDVD of it to
>> work yet. :-P
>>

> Well, you can always install one of the "light" desktops, like Xfce,
> fvwm, etc.  Then you'd be back to Win95 days.  ;-)

I had no problem with Windows 95, 98 wasn't that much different
or Millennium for that matter.  Actually, I have not too much to grip
about Gnome anymore either.  Xfce4 isn't bad, I need to play around
with it more.
I can easily ignore eye candy, I just wish some of the people who
work with Linux  stop working on the glamor  stuff like some of the
GUIs and  kernel, and work on the applications.

Now I do realize that server software is one big interest to not only
Linux folks but FreeBSD types as well, if a desktop works on FreeBSD
that's ok, but apparently it is not a prime concern to the powers that
be, but of course my interest is desktops, and yes I would be more than
happy to see one that could be used to replace Windows.

> BTW, did you read about the breakup of the PCLOS dev team?  Most of them
> left PCLOS & TexStar and went off to start "Unity" Linux with TInyMe.
> CSol, the system admin of the site, claimed that TexStar gave her the
> "Keys to the kingdom" and she's blaming "the boys" for all the problems
> because they resented her leadership.      PCLOS development is in
> shambles.  It's future is in doubt.
> GG

Well, someone is working on it, because upgrades are coming out
all of the time. So, someone(s) think it is worth the effort to see if they
can make it fixable.  I have a copy of it sitting on a computer, and I
don't have much reason to take it off, so I'll keep an eye on it and see
whoever is working on it returns it to the functional level that it had
in the 2007/8 version.

Anyway, on the desktop part of the equation of any Linux system if it
ain't broke, don't fix it, and a change for change sake, usually isn't worth
it.