[huskerlug] Re: DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

  • From: "Martin Wolff" <mwolff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 21:03:45 -0500

Yeah,  I was aware of the whole free as in cost vs the Free as in
FREEDOM( the Stallman type thing). I'm aware of the restrictions and
such with using code like the w32codecs and etc.

 I should have phrased my question better, I guess what I was really
looking for was if people had more information about the other distros
on the top ten list and WHY they weren't free(if all of the ones on
the list are in fact not free)?  What parts were included in them, etc
that made them not free?  What drivers, etc came stock that were the
offending pieces of code?  Sorry, my original question was badly
phrased so it probably read like I knew nothing about the difference
between simply free in $$ and free as in able to change, etc.

> It has the "Broadcom" problem but leaves no way to connect to the
>Internet to solve it IF your chip won't connect.   The broadcom problem

Yeah I've known a few people that have run into that and have been
really annoyed.

--

Martin