[hllug] Re: VLC player problem

  • From: Don Crowder <dondashguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 13:46:00 -0600

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 10:24:03 -0600
herb cee <hc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all
> I am trying to get a .wma link to play without success in VLC player.
> http://mapleton.wmlive.internapcdn.net/live_mapleton_vitalstream_com_kpigfm?PPID=4639&.wma

Herb, it took a fairly long time to load, on my not-really-so-very-fast
DSL connection but it played just fine in my browser, in Noatun.  I
copied the URL, closed the browser, opened VLC clicked on File/Open
Network Stream, clicked on HTTP, pasted in the URL and VLC started
playing the file right where Noatun left off.  Very cool!

I have, of course, long since added a multimedia repository to my
sources.list file and installed win32codecs.  Another file that proved
helpful was libdvdcss2.

By the way, I'm still listening to that file as I type this.  I don't
know what to call it, a podcast maybe?   Anyway, it's a lengthy audio
clip from a radio station that opens with a singer/songwriter who does
one tune followd by a commercial and a 'canned' Rolling Stones
number before they get to a live-in-the studio band.  I'm bad with
names so it didn't stick but they're damn good.  Thanks for the link!
--
Don Crowder
http://www.don-guitar.com