[hllug] Re: VLC player problem

  • From: Lee Parmeter <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 12:31:40 -0600

Don Crowder wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 10:24:03 -0600
> herb cee <hc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>> I am trying to get a .wma link to play without success in VLC player.
>> http://mapleton.wmlive.internapcdn.net/live_mapleton_vitalstream_com_kpigfm?PPID=4639&.wma
>
> Herb, it took a fairly long time to load, on my not-really-so-very-fast
> DSL connection but it played just fine in my browser, in Noatun.  I
> copied the URL, closed the browser, opened VLC clicked on File/Open
> Network Stream, clicked on HTTP, pasted in the URL and VLC started
> playing the file right where Noatun left off.  Very cool!
>
> I have, of course, long since added a multimedia repository to my
> sources.list file and installed win32codecs.  Another file that proved
> helpful was libdvdcss2.

VLC has a lot of codecs included in the std package and I didn't know that
it supported external codecs. So, thanks for that nugget!

--
Lee Parmeter
http://www.bubbasgeek.com

"When it comes to Vista: just say NO! If you're not ready for Linux, buy a
MAC!" - Lee Parmeter
"God is not a republican or a democrat nor is His government a democracy!"
- Lee Parmeter