[hllug] Re: VLC player problem

  • From: Lee Parmeter <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 12:03:09 -0600

herb cee wrote:
Hi all
I am trying to get a .wma link to play without success in VLC player.
http://mapleton.wmlive.internapcdn.net/live_mapleton_vitalstream_com_kpigfm?PPID=4639&.wma

mplayer will play most .wma files if the w32codecs are installed.

First you need to add the Mediabuntu repositories.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Now install "mplayer" and "w32codecs" using synaptic

mplayer has a mozilla/firefox plugin so you can also install it if you want to or just copy past the URL into mplayer.

Right click on link in e-mail then "Copy Link Location".

Then start mplayer and right click on mplayer playback window, select open, then Play URL. Now paste the link into the URL field (right click on field and select paste).

If you get the "AF_INET6" Error, then add:

|prefer-ipv4=yes

To your mplayer config file:

||~/.mplayer/config| (where ~ is your home directory).

With mplayer setup and working properly, I still got a stream error and/or no display, so I am wondering if the link is valid. Does it play on "Windows" using "Bill's mplayer"?

-Lee