[hllug] Re: Up the creek

  • From: hc@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 20:42:24 -0600 (CST)

I asked on Satlug.org & ...

"I've noticed that /home does not contain global execute permissions on
it.  This would cause processes to fail to chdir to your /home/herb
directory or any subdirectories.  Try running the following after
mounting to ~/mnt/temp.

sudo chmod +x ~/mnt/temp/home

And just in case, I would suggest the following.

sudo chmod u+r ~/mnt/temp/home

sudo find ~/mnt/temp/home -type d -exec chmod u+x "{}" \;
done"

The install is back intact. Whew I gotta watch out for those senior moments lol
so it was the bad command that messed it up & took some doing.

On Friday, December 28, 2012 15:18, "admin" <admin@xxxxxxxxx> said:

Your /home partition should be mounting off the root "/" not under "/media". So
I really don't know what happened!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy™ S II 4G
hc@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Okay I had run the permission change to a folder that was in my /home that had
a cam driver I wanted to try & next boot I get to the login screen & a warning
said it could not find /home/herb so if I logged in it would not work. I then
went to the other install & from there I opened the file sys & FM showed home &
herb but when I tried to open it complains that it is not a folder.

this HD is a SATA
herb@herb-elfa:~$ sudo blkid /dev/sda8
[sudo] password for herb:
/dev/sda8: UUID="a724d786-cc12-4d7a-8c67-e75cadfbb9cc" TYPE="ext4"
herb@herb-elfa:~$

On Friday, December 28, 2012 11:46, "Lee Parmeter" <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

On 12/27/2012 07:59 AM, [mailto:hc@xxxxxxxxxxx] hc@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Well I yayed 2 soon. .. I cannot           boot because it says it cannot find
a /home/herb folder well           running in the other pat I can see the sda8
part with /home           & /herb there but when I attempt to open it with
     filemanager it says it is not a folder?

I looked in           property’s>permissions it says permissions cannot be
     determined but gives this as location ..
/media/a724d786-cc12-4d7a-8c67-e75cadfbb9cc/home/herb

I hope there is a way to fix this           without losing all the files in
there I am backed up except           for maybe past week so won't kill me
thanks hhHerb,

 Maybe grub is trying to or has mounted the wrong partition.

 run "blkid" on when the home drive is mounted to see the /dev/sda8     to UUID
name.

[http://linuxconfig.org/how-to-retrieve-and-change-partitions-universally-unique-identifier-uuid-on-linux]

http://linuxconfig.org/how-to-retrieve-and-change-partitions-universally-unique-identifier-uuid-on-linux

 Another question: Is the home partition on a Serial-ATA  or is it a     USB
Drive?

 -Lee