[hllug] All in the family

  • From: "Donguitar" <donguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 10:57:12 -0500

There's nothing like having an artist in the family.  PCLinuxOS is having a
contest to select a new logo image for the OS.  Lisa created an Armadillo
image and a couple of penguin-as-glass-chess-piece images as I'm typing this
they're visable here:
http://mypclinuxos.com/e107_plugins/kig_menu/index.php?view=album&albumId=6&perRow=5&perPage=15&o=0&l=15

or, if this gets truncated, use this one
http://snipurl.com/psdh

I've tried DSL and STX on my old 266 MHz Pentium box and been pleased with
them.  STX has "more stuff" but it's windows manager
http://ede.sourceforge.net/page/
 is sometimes a little buggy.

I've discovered three more distros I plan to try-out on the old box within
the next few days/weeks.

DSL-N   http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/dsl-n/

Caos   http://www.caosity.org/

DeLi   http://www.delilinux.de/

Lisa and I are both using Slimbrowser which runs on IE's dlls and we've
noticed that we get security warnings any time we visit Linux sites that
have been around for a while.  It's almost as though IE is keeping a list of
them.  When she tried to upload her contest entry images from her XP box,
with Slimbrowser, the upload failed on every attempt.  After about three
days, I suggested she put the images on a floppy disk, log into the site
with the Linux box and try uploading them.  They uploaded without a hitch on
the first try.   Now I wish we'd thought to try uploading them with Firefox
from the XP box.

Don