[hllug] Re: All in the family

  • From: Administrator <admin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:18:07 -0500

Don:

Interesting post!

Donguitar wrote:
There's nothing like having an artist in the family.  PCLinuxOS is having a
contest to select a new logo image for the OS.  Lisa created an Armadillo
image and a couple of penguin-as-glass-chess-piece images as I'm typing this
they're visable here:
http://mypclinuxos.com/e107_plugins/kig_menu/index.php?view=album&albumId=6&perRow=5&perPage=15&o=0&l=15

or, if this gets truncated, use this one
http://snipurl.com/psdh

nice work! If my daughter does not follow through I might be asking you guys for some help!

I've tried DSL and STX on my old 266 MHz Pentium box and been pleased with
them.  STX has "more stuff" but it's windows manager
http://ede.sourceforge.net/page/
 is sometimes a little buggy.

I've discovered three more distros I plan to try-out on the old box within
the next few days/weeks.

DSL-N http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/dsl-n/

I am going to try this one as well on my portable 512 USB pen drive. There should be better wireless support with the 2.6 kernel in this version.

Caos http://www.caosity.org/

This one looks like a RHL derivative as it uses rpm's, yum etc. There is even a reference to RHL on the website.

DeLi http://www.delilinux.de/

This one looks quite interesting for older hardware. It's still in beta, and might be a little buggy for daily use. I will be very interested in hearing back from you on your experience with this one. There is lots of old hardware around that could be resurrected with a good GNU/linux solution. I added a link to the website under mini-distro's.

Lisa and I are both using Slimbrowser which runs on IE's dlls and we've
noticed that we get security warnings any time we visit Linux sites that
have been around for a while.  It's almost as though IE is keeping a list of
them.  When she tried to upload her contest entry images from her XP box,
with Slimbrowser, the upload failed on every attempt.  After about three
days, I suggested she put the images on a floppy disk, log into the site
with the Linux box and try uploading them.  They uploaded without a hitch on
the first try.   Now I wish we'd thought to try uploading them with Firefox
from the XP box.

Never heard of this one! From your e-zine, I can see that you guys have scoured the Internet and found all kinds of programs and related info.

Don

-- Administrator http://www.hllug.org //www.freelists.org/list/hllug

Instead of just gazing through a "Window", remove the "Gates" and come fly with the penguins!