[hipl-dev] Re: One question for HIPL kernel code

  • From: Miika Komu <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 13:17:22 +0300

Hi,

On 06/09/2011 10:06 AM, liang.liang12@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to HIPL and studying it. I have some simple questions regarding to
HIPL kernel code file locations:
1. When I read the "design_choices" document and get to know HIPL is
implemented using linux kernel module, but i could not find it in HIPL
source
code except hipsock. I went through hipsock module briefly, and think
it's not
what "design_choices" describes. So the question is where the code is
located?

the latest release is quite old. While we're trying to get a new release, please use e.g. the nightly tarball (or use version control):

http://hipl.hiit.fi/index.php?index=source

You'll notice that the design_choices has been removed because it was quite outdated.

We're offering also binary images here:

http://hipl.hiit.fi/index.php?index=download

2. I noticed that "The kernel modifications for HIP are available in
vanilla Linux kernel 2.6.27 and above." is mentioned in user mannual. But
I searched my on-hand vanilla kernel (2.6.39) and find no HIP related
codes.
Could you help provide some clue?

The BEET kernel module is widely available on all current linux distributions. No need to patch.

3. I checked the hipd module and found it implements HIP state machine
in user
space process. From document "design_choices", I think this is
implemented in
kernel. So is there any configuration way to choose user-space or
kernel-space
implementation?

If you're working with some legacy system, you'll find the patches in "patches" directory from the source tarball. As an alternative, the hipfw daemon supports userspace IPsec.

4. In document "design_choices", one kernel thread khipd is mentioned.
But I also
could not find anything related with it......

Forget about this, outdated...