Re: Midair in the pattern

  • From: Moses Acee <moacee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mrandolp@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 22:41:09 -0500

I respectfully disagree. Power pilots as well as glider pilots should be using the radio. Although all the details may not be in, it appears the California tow and glider pilot were observing the same rule, left and right traffic patterns. Best we look and talk in the pattern, announcing, at the very least our downwind entrance. Although not mandatory, it's a good idea to communicate. HH is a bit usual, since we are in a controlled airspace and use two frequencies, Elmira tower 121.1 MHZ and HH 123.3. We have established the rule to talk to Elmira tower crossing the east-west corridor. Using the radio, if possible, to announce your intentions just adds to a safe operation.

I might humbly add that i have screwed up on a couple of occasions landing and taking off in my 180 but I always talk to Elmira tower and Elmira departure/arrival. I should also clear on 123.3 on take off. I usually announce my arrival on 123.3, "Harris Hill traffic, Cessna 2597K entering left downwind, landing to the south" A couple of months ago I took off to the north while an ASK-21 was landing. I noticed him as I was on the roll and stayed to the east side of the runway, however, it could have been a problem if I didn't see him. I also understand that all club ships may not have radios, but if they do we should use them the landing pattern and on tow if necessary.

Thanks,

Moses Acee
KLM-Garner, Inc.
4779 Clinton Street
Clark Mills, NY 13321
315-853-6126 Phone
315-853-3011 Fax
moacee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Dec 1, 2009, at 8:35 PM, Michael Randolph wrote:

With respect, the tow pilots using radios does us no good if all the sailplanes aren't also always using radios in the pattern. We do keep the sailplane and towplane traffic patterns separated at Harris Hill and reducing the risk of mid-air collisions is a key part of the reason for that practice.

mike randolph
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark & Rebecca Feher" <mfeher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >