Radios in the pattern

  • From: "Sean Murphy" <murphsp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hhsc1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 11:54:32 -0500

Thanks to Ron O. for pointing out the serious issue of conflicting traffic on
base leg. Hopefully all this good discussion will lead to better awareness. In
my experience there is no substitute for "see and avoid." I have flown at busy
uncontrolled with powered traffic singing out every intended move on the radio.
I have also spent many years observing our busy operation. Our pattern is far
safer. Tow pilots and gliders must continually scan for traffic in the pattern.
There should be no assumption that traffic will self announce their position.
The club has no plans to equip the trainers with panel mount radios so there
will always be gliders flying without radios at Harris Hill.

Having said that, all members are strongly encouraged to put a battery or hand
held radio in the ship they are flying. This allows pilots to contact the tower
if they want to fly off the end of the runway at ELM to take advantage of
soaring conditions. This would have been handy during the snowbird when several
pilots explored the wave over Minier's. Some were above Class D and were okay.
Others violated the agreement.  Even through they could have called the tower
easily, they didn't. This puts our club in jeapordy. The radio would also then
be available for judicious use in the pattern.

All tow pilots are encouraged to listen up on 123.3. This is an enhancement for
communication during tow. I will ensure all tow planes have adequate headsets
available.

Radio calls should be by exception only. This means call if you need something
from the tow pilot like more speed, certainly call. Gliders should a tow pilot
if you are concerned they don't see the glider and won't yield right of way in
the pattern. Call another glider to sort out the landing order or to advise
where you plan to roll out. Do not call out legs of the traffic pattern.

The reason we must keep the chatter off 123.3 is that cross country glider
pilots all across the Northeast can hear every transmission. With all that
radio traffic, cross country gliders are forced to turn the radio off. This
creates a problem if the pilot subsequently goes missing. No body has the first
clue where to start looking. This concern far exceeds the usefulness of calling
out legs of the traffic pattern. Likewise, cross country pilots should limit
their transmissions to short, useful messages. A message like "I'm looking at
fields 6 miles southwest of Malco airport" is very important to get out to
other pilots. On the other extreme, I've actually had to listen to guys making
dinner plans at Ridge Soaring. This is less than useful.

Sorry for the long message,
Sean

database 4655 (20091202) __________

http://www.eset.com