[HFbeacons] Re: 05-Dec-13 Beacons in the Detroit area

  • From: "Ian Baines" <va3kah@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hfbeacons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 11:38:44 -0500

Thanks for the note Marc.   When you get your beacon up and running, I will
listen for you.   We are a bit close for skip and far for groundwave.

You may hear VA3KAH on 29.172 from Georgian Bay during the summer.  Or
VE3DJI on .164 in the winter.  I am currently testing an end fed half wave
vertical.

The band is certainly hot this year and I am glad that I got it running.
A beacon is simple to set up - just get a used HTX or equivalent from
E-Bay($100), a pico keyer kit ($17), 12 volt PS ($50) and hang a dipole
anywhere.

I was amazed that when testing my beacon with the dipole just hung over a
couple of saw horses Bill WJ5O heard me.

I have hit Germany with 137 mW last week.   Wow!  Again, thanks for posting
and your explanation Marc.

73

Ian