[harbor] Harbor Biz Model...

  • From: "Johnny Kewl" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <harbor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 07:24:06 +0200

As you will discover... Open Source does not mean a damn thing, if you dont also specify the biz model... ie Open Source does not mean free... just look at Moblin.

Harbors biz model is to operate as a R&D center behind IT retailers... thats the way we work... I think its the only way it can work.

I dont know all the IT biz lingo, but in plain biz talk... Harbor is a R&D center in the background and Front end IT companies brand it as they will.

Harbor is free and we make money from building specialized modules for Harbor... front end system integrators sell complete solutions incorporating Harbor.

Complete vertical integration would create yet more unhealthy competition in the open source world... so we sit behind IT companies and whether they give it away or make it part of proprietary system, is their choice.

Harbor is structured as it it, because its important that its a healthy running going concern... Or in plain talk... customers are screwed if no one is maintaining software... there has to be a revenue model that allows the whole channel to remain healthy.

Partners naturally have a priviledged position... coders get Harbor for free, in a truely free biz model, no catches, like you'll never get the thing set up on your own, or configuration is so complex, you need a consultant... but some work that we doing we are not allowed to release into the public domain... but thats ok, thats how value added business channels work. ie if a customer invests in a Harbor driven Point Of Sale system... you will probably buy that in a shop... Harbor will be invisible in that system.

But this wierd open source model... make it complex... I dont believe in.
It must either add real value to a customer... or die.
You either have to become a going concern and support a product... or die.

Thats our biz model... like Harbor... KISS (keep it simple stupid)
The only real POJO Application Server.