[hammertimeprojects] Hammer Time! News 1/12/11

  • From: "Hammer Time!" <hammertimeprojects@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hammertimeprojects@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, uproot@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 20:50:35 -0600

Hammer Time! is a collection of projects that provide people with accessible
information and resources used to responsibly create and obtain what they
want. As of now we are host to a Tool Co-op, Free Store, Infoshop, Free
School, Documentary Nights, Community Garden, and more!

News! (Check hammertimeprojects.org/calendar
<http://hammertimeprojects.org/calendar%20>for up to date happenings)

1) Updates
2) Special Events!
3) Documentary Nights
4) Free Schools
5) Wish List
6) How to Volunteer

--

1) Updates
* *

2) Special Events!
*Reading Group
Fri, January 14th @ 12pm, Bean Cycle
** * We will be reading and discussing Ursula Le Guin's "The Ones who Walk
Away from Omelas." Usually great side tracked discussions come about where
you can express your thoughts and opinions. Story is attached... Sweet!
*
New Year Volunteer Meeting**
Fri, January 21st @ 6pm
At this meeting we will be deciding new volunteer hours and talking briefly
about new plans for projects and how to implement them. If you are new to
HT! and want to get involved, don't miss this meeting!*
*
Open Mic: Acoustic and Readings - Sexy Calendar Release!
Fri, January 21st @ 8pm**
**Have a sweet poem you scribbled on a napkin after getting rejected at the
bar? A rad short story by someone that you always tell your friends "oh man
you should read this!" but never do? An acoustic song that "totally rules"
that you want to shred? Or maybe you just want to hear what other people
gotta lay down in an open forum that might be totally inappropriate any
other time? Come to the HT! open mic and express your self!*

*This is also our Calendar Release Get Down! Support HT! and pick up a high
quality 2011 Sexy Calendar for only $10!*

3) Documentary Nights**

*Documentary Night: Winnebago Man*
*Tues, **January **18th @ 8pm*
"a 2009 American documentary feature film directed by Ben Steinbauer that
follows the Internet phenomenon created by a series of twenty-year-old
outtakes from a Winnebago sales video featuring profane outbursts from the
salesperson, Jack Rebney. Originally intended as an inside joke, the video
spread across the globe first on VHS tape then via YouTube and other online
video sites, earning the salesman the title of "The Angriest Man in the
World". The documentary explores the story of the clip’s origin and how, two
decades later, it affects the man who never even knew it existed."

*Documentary Night: Weather Underground*
*Tues, January 25th @ 8pm*

4) Free Schools
**
*Free School: Cooking101*
*Thurs, January 13th @ 6pm*
This is an exercise on making a delicious meal from potentially
contradictory ingredients. It is a challenge on socially accepted
combinations of food items and the traditional sense of what "DINNER" should
be. Like an outfit from the free store, or a DIY show lineup, or your mom
and dad for example, sometimes random things can come together in beautiful
ways....

The idea is that everyone who comes brings one or more ingredient(s) of
their choosing. Using state of the art stew-based cooking micro-technology,
we combine everyone's collective energy and enjoy the unpredictability of
life. If possible, bring only vegan items so as to include all peoples. YUM!

*Free School: Beer & Buttons*
*Thurs, January 20th @ 6pm*

*Free School: Cointelpro*
*Thurs, January 27th @ 6pm*

5) Wish List

-Iron +/or ironing board
-Solar lawn style light to light front sign
-Folders (like the open up with two pockets one either side)
-Big throw blanket/sheet for couch
-Shelves for free store and storage
-A cheap pick up truck
-Tools/Materials of all types (pile of wrenches, decent wood, hardware...)
    *especially -* an “A” style ladder, jigsaw, router, planer, reciprocal
saw
-Rad books
-Volunteers!

6) How to Volunteer
Volunteer Meetings - We strive to have everyone participate in figuring out
the direction of the projects and how to get them done. Come learn more
about the space and how these decisions are made. Meetings are every Friday
at 6pm.

Regular Volunteers - a "regular" volunteer can pick a 4 hour shift out of
the 2 per day between 12-8p on mon, wed, and sat. peeps can either volunteer
getting  stuff done or just doing homework, working on your own projects,
reading infoshop books, cruzin the internet, etc while folks are perusing
the shop. We ask that ya'll come to a few meetings and work parties before
you become a regular volunteer as to learn about how the place operates.

Outreach - One of the most important parts of the projects are letting
people know we are here. A few ways to help out is to hand out/post fliers
and posters, volunteer/create special events, and spread the word! Email us
at hammertimeprojects@xxxxxxxxx to know how you can specifically help.

Stop By! -  ‘nough said.

Donate a few bucks -
www.hammertimeprojects.org/contribute-2<http://hammertimeprojects.org/contribute>