[hammertimeprojects] Hammer Time! News 1/24/11

  • From: "Hammer Time!" <hammertimeprojects@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hammertimeprojects@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, uproot@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 01:44:43 -0700

Hammer Time! is a collection of projects that provide people with accessible
information and resources used to responsibly create and obtain what they
want. As of now we are host to a Tool Co-op, Free Store, Infoshop, Free
School, Documentary Nights, Community Garden, and more!

News! (Check hammertimeprojects.org/calendar
<http://hammertimeprojects.org/calendar%20>for up to date happenings)

1) Updates
2) Special Events!
3) Documentary Nights
4) Free Schools
5) Wish List
6) How to Volunteer

--

1) Updates
* **Sexy Calendars*

*Legal Updates**
We have received the latest and possibly final (fingers crossed) word from
the City Zoning Dept. The good news (actually, awesome news) is that they
have approved the Uses of the Tool Co-op, Free Store, Infoshop, SEAMS, and
the Garden as being similar enough to the properties "previous uses" as to
not have to go through a "change of use" development process. The bad news
is that this leaves out Free Schools and Documentary Nights as being part of
the previous uses. We are working on revising these projects and possibly
relocating them. Stay tuned!*

2) Special Events!**
*Volunteer Training*
*Sat, **January **29th @ 2pm*
Want to become a volunteer at Hammer Time!? Come this Saturday at 2pm for a
complete rundown in everything from types of tools to check out systems!

3) Documentary Nights**
*Documentary Night: Weather Underground*
*Tues, January 25th @ 8pm*
"The Weather Underground is a 2002 documentary film based on the rise and
fall of the American radical organization The Weathermen. Using much archive
footage from the time as well as interviews with the Weathermen today, the
film constructs a linear narrative of the militant organization."

4) Free Schools
***Free School: Cointelpro*
*Thurs, January 27th @ 6pm*
Learn about COINTELPRO (an acronym for Counter Intelligence Program) was a
series of covert, and often illegal, projects conducted by the United States
Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) aimed at surveilling, infiltrating,
discrediting, and disrupting domestic political organizations. This event
will be hosted by Hammer Times very own John Howard Grosvenor III.

5) Wish List
-Material/Fabric
-Iron +/or ironing board
-Solar lawn style light to light front sign
-Shelves for free store and storage
-A cheap pick up truck
-Tools/Materials of all types (pile of wrenches, decent wood, hardware...)
    *especially -* an “A” style ladder, jigsaw, router, planer, reciprocal
saw
-Rad books
-Volunteers!

6) How to Volunteer
Volunteer Meetings - We strive to have everyone participate in figuring out
the direction of the projects and how to get them done. Come learn more
about the space and how these decisions are made. Meetings are every Friday
at 6pm.

Regular Volunteers - a "regular" volunteer can pick a 4 hour shift out of
the 2 per day between 12-8p on mon, wed, and sat. peeps can either volunteer
getting  stuff done or just doing homework, working on your own projects,
reading infoshop books, cruzin the internet, etc while folks are perusing
the shop. We ask that ya'll come to a few meetings and work parties before
you become a regular volunteer as to learn about how the place operates.

Outreach - One of the most important parts of the projects are letting
people know we are here. A few ways to help out is to hand out/post fliers
and posters, volunteer/create special events, and spread the word! Email us
at hammertimeprojects@xxxxxxxxx to know how you can specifically help.

Stop By! -  ‘nough said.

Donate a few bucks -
www.hammertimeprojects.org/contribute-2<http://hammertimeprojects.org/contribute>